Wednesday 28 May 2014

The Story Starts Again

There was movement at the station... well, movement here, anyway.

As of next Tuesday I will have some pieces hung in a joint exhibition. It's not a big thing, but it is a thing (well, it's not a thing. Technically a thing is a viking "leaders" meeting and a meeting of all the leaders is an allthing. But I digress).

It's at The Entrance Gallery and is the inaugural joint exhibition of the Central Coast Collective, thanks to a Council grant. One thing our council does well is support the arts in our area, and this exhibition is part of that initiative. We don't have an upfront fee, but instead have a commission of 25% taken from any sales. That's not too tough as commissions go. We are also required to each man two shifts at the exhibition. Which isn't a bad idea. It is nice for potential customers to be able to talk to the artists, and can be a boost to sales.

I got the notice about the exhibition yesterday and confirmed my participation. It starts next week. Not a lot of time. I am now panicking a little, which is why I am writing a blog post instead of getting my arse in gear. The question is: what to hang?

Most of my paintings are now three to ten years old (I have been without a studio for a few years). The abstracts are a good six months away from being finished (and I have plans for them, so they were a no regardless). Do I beat myself mercilessly to start and complete some new works? Or do I go with these (and all their friends)?

Tangle 1, Megan Hitchens 2014

Tangle 2, Megan Hitchens 2014

Tangle 3, Megan Hitchens 2014
These are abstract pieces created using a drawing system known as Zentangle. As I have said, I struggle with abstract, and you can see why from these. I mean, they aren't entirely abstract, are they? There are certainly objects in these. Shells, sheafs of wheat, whatever. But Zentangle has become very useful in moving me along the path toward true abstraction. It has given my brain an inroad and taken the anxiety out of it. I have also been teaching my son and his classmates how to do this. Children are unbelievably good at Zentangle because they very quickly let go of the "rules" that stop real creativity (and I mean "rules" as opposed to technique. Zentangle is very much about technique).

We are told there will quite a few school groups coming through the exhibition, so I thought why not do something that they might like to try.

Okay, this is a small exhibition. It isn't going to catapult me to fame and fortune, but I haven't had an exhibition for a while, and it is a start. And what is the point if I don't start, if I say "It's not big enough"? I mean, have you watched "Withnail and I"?

I want to do a series of drawings on mechanical animals, but I don't know that I can get enough of them done in time and I want to do them justice. So, opinions, thoughts, feedback. Am I taking an easy way out?

In the meantime, yet more Abney Park (I'll put up something else when I feel it fits) - "The Story That Never Starts". I love Titus' violin intro. It always gives me a physical thrill.
Don't let them check you
They're sucking the wrong brew
The cowards should not steer
Your life by their own fear
Don't care what they're dreaming
The future is teeming
With stories that wait to start
 

No comments:

Post a Comment