Monday 27 October 2014

K.I.S.S.

Further to yesterday's post about drawing with coloured pencils, I found this image in my files (after a little looking. I had given it a strange name, so it wasn't where I thought it should be. Problem rectified), and it the only image I have of the original drawing, so I am relieved to have found it. The original sold. For a tidy sum. I love that someone else loved it enough to buy it.

Bactrian, Megan Hitchens, 2011, black pencil on paper

It is a baby bactrian camel. So unbelievably cute, and another glorious fibre animal.

This is even simpler than the Snow Leopard and the Bison, as it is one colour on white. Just a black pencil. Not graphite, not a 2B drawing pencil. A black colour pencil. That's all. Different pressure, different number of layers gives me different shades, from a pale silvery grey through to the deep black wells of the eyes.

You don't need a huge number of colours to make something beautiful (although you certainly can do that. Colour is a wonderful thing). Keeping it simple can work wonders too. There is a serenity to this that cannot be achieved with a broader palette.

Anyway, I'm happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment