Monday 29 September 2014

The Claytons Holiday

We were getting ready to go to the farm for a few days, I had so much to do, too much really, packing, sheets to change, drawings to finish, and my head was overflowing.

So I took the day off.

My daughter the Steamgoth has been wanting some new corsets. She wants some for undergarments, but I need to source steel bones for that (found them, just have to order), and she wants some for outerwear. I had whipped one up just before we went to camp, but it wasn't boned, and was a little too big. I measure her and check on the patterns and the measurements match with size 14. But when I make a garment up, it's always a little too big. So I redrew the corset pattern for a size 12 and cut it out, and the day before we went away I put the whole thing together. With plastic boning, which isn't great, but gets the job done, and can be accessed easily.

Of course I forgot to pick up a couple of things I had run low on, bias binding for one. It's easy enough to make bias binding, but I wanted a particular sort, and anyway I can't make metal eyelets, of which I was low, so a quick dash to the fabric shop was in order.

And you know what happens when you try to rush something. Mistakes. For the first time in my life I put eyelets in backwards. Backwards. Honestly, how stupid. So I had to use pliers to get them out and then put new ones in the correct way round. Just as well I had bought the large packet.

It doesn't show up well, but there are four chains on it, coming off the buckle tabs.

In the end it turned out okay, and the Steamgoth likes it, which was the point of the exercise. And they say a change is as good as a holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment