Wednesday 17 September 2014

Three Chalks and the Truth (well, sort of)

It's been an odd day. Good, but odd.

I put a drawing in the post today. It is so nice when someone loves something I have created. Lately I have been doing quite a few drawings in sanguine (that's a type of red chalk), white chalk and charcoal. It is an intriguing combination. You end up with all sorts of other colours coming through, either as a result of physical mixing or optical mixing. I'm not at the standard of Mark Calderwood with this technique, but I am working on it and having a lot of fun in the meantime.

If you want to see the master of this, well, you could guess who that is.

Leonardo da Vinci, attr. Portrait of Bianca Sforza, c1490. Red, black and white chalk and brown ink on vellum

And yes, really, there are only the three chalks and brown ink. The olive sleeve, the gorgeous flesh tones, they just come from those three colours. As I keep saying to people, "use it as an inspiration, not as a yardstick".

There is also a new project lining up. If it comes off it will be hard work but could be quite lucrative. It'll only go for a month, which makes the hard work easier to face. Unfortunately it depends on other people. We are split over when the thing will happen, and that could make all the difference dollar-wise. A longish meeting didn't resolve the matter, but someone else will probably have the final say, which could be a good thing in end.

That's a bit cryptic. Hopefully I can reveal the plan in a few days. And hopefully it won't be a huge anti-climax.

And then I came home and washed some more fleece (that will go on for days).

Princess Crocodile is on this post for the simple reason that it is playing a lot in the house and the car at the moment. It is driving my poor son crazy, but my daughter the Steamgoth loves it. Finally I have someone else who shares my love of electro swing.


No comments:

Post a Comment